Spring has arrived in full force – flowers are blooming, the weather is warming, and bees are buzzing. With the increase of stinging insects during this season, it’s possible you’ll be stung. Getting stung by an insect can be more than just a nuisance, it can be life-threatening. Consider the following steps to take if you’ve been stung:

Remove the Stinger Immediately

When an insect stings, the stinger releases venom into your skin for several minutes. To avoid a severe reaction, remove the stinger immediately to decrease the amount of venom that is put into your skin.

Ice the Affected Area

When your body receives venom from a stinging insect, it will immediately go into self-defense mode. The area that was stung will likely swell and it will be painful to the touch. If possible, keep the affected area in an upright position and ice it to reduce the swelling.

Clean the Area After Icing

To avoid any germs and bacteria irritating the puncture further, clean the area with warm water and soap. If your body has a severe reaction to the venom, it’s possible that a blister may produce. Keep the blister intact, as this protects the skin and will accelerate the healing process.

Take Medication if Needed

Common side effects of a non-allergic reaction include itching, swelling, and redness around the affected area. If the itching continues, you can find relief through oral antihistamines or topical steroid ointment. But, if you are severely allergic to stinging insects, these medications will not suffice. You will need to use your epinephrine injector then call for professional, medical help immediately.

How Dr. Brauer Can Help

It’s important to know if your allergy to stinging insects is life-threatening. If you’re unsure, Dr. Brauer can determine the severity of your allergy through an allergy test. Then, Dr. Brauer will create a treatment plan for you so you can confidently enjoy the outdoors! If you’re ready to schedule an appointment, contact us today.